Cell Phone Safety Recommendations
The cell phone is an amazing invention that I was originally resistant to embrace, but now find myself accepting with unconditional love and affection. Three things are always with me; keys, wallet and phone. I often wonder how business was conducted, friendships maintained and emergencies handled without these miraculous portable devices. Recently however, I read the book Anti-Cancer by David Servan-Schreiber MD and some disturbing facts were brought to light about cell phone usage. Because I am a “solution and action” girl my eyes went straight to his recommendations for lowering the harmful affects of cell phone usage on my body and on those around me. Although many studies have not yet linked cell phone usage to cancer, all of these studies were on people using cell phones for five years or less. Most cancer studies do not show linkage until well after ten to fifteen years. Don’t be fooled, these little jewels carry an electromagnetic field that indeed is likely detrimental to our health.
- Do not let children under twelve use cell phones. Organs that are still developing are the most sensitive to electromagnetic fields.
- When talking on the phone try and stay as far away from it as possible. Four inches away makes the EMF four times weaker. As often as you can use the speaker function or a “Bluetooth” headset that reduces the field by a factor of a hundred.
- Try to stay away from others using cell phone and try not to use yours on buses or subways to avoid exposing those around you.
- Avoid keeping the cell phone on your person. Do not sleep with the cell phone under your pillow or by your head.
- Keep your calls short. Damage is directly linked to duration of calls. Use the text function as much as possible.
- Regularly change the ear you are using. Wait for the other person to pick up the call before you put the phone to your ear. Once connected the magnetic field is reduced.
- Try not to use your phone during rapid travel or when the signal is weak. The phone will be constantly searching for a signal and this makes the EMF much stronger.
- Use a phone with the lowest amount of SAR. (specific absorption rate) Lists of phones specific SAR is available on websites. (ie: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/sar/)
Several of these recommendations were a surprise to me but I am electing to take them very seriously. I hope you will follow Dr. Servan-Schreiber’s suggestions as well. For further information on cancer preventing ideas for anyone’s life read his excellent book Anti Cancer. For a quick trick for lowering EMF of your electronic equipment see the following website. http://www.xzubi.ca/index.php